2019 4th Quarter Autumn Semester
- Satellite Seminar program is changed from the origianl one. Only group presentation on Feb 26 at Suzukakedau Campus. See Satellite Seminar 2020 .
- Questionnaire Attached files/2019SET_Questionnaire_Answer_Sheet_mod.xlsx for grouping and satellite seminar (due on Dec 6, to J.Takemura <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- The intensve classes will open from 15:05 to 18:20, on Dec 11 (Wed) , 18 (Wed) and Jan 29 (Wed) at Room H136
- Orientation of the class was held at 15:05am, Dec. 4 at Rm H136
- Orientation of Satellite Seminar at 10:00am, Feb. 17 at Rm H135*
- * Note: The room has changed
|Sustainable Development has been secured by a various technologies. In
the course of Sustainable Engineering Technology, leading engineers and
researchers will give lectures on a specific area which is crucial for
sustainable development, such as, energy and environment, material production,
and information technology. In addition to the lectures, the students will investigate the relation
of their specialty to the specific area by various ways, including site
visits, and give presentations on the investigation to share the knowledge
with the students of different specialty in a seminar (Satellite Seminar).
lectures and seminars with the discussions by the students of different
disciplines, this course aims to train the students as “highly educated,
internationalized engineers” having a wide spectrum of technical knowledge from
basics to their applications.
Theme of SET2019:
"Energy, and Material Innovation & Sustainability"
Instructors and Invited lectures
*Asso. Prof. TAKEMURA, Jiro(Coordinator of ISSEP)
Asso. Prof.TOKIMATSU, Koji (ditto),
Asso. Prof. YOSHIMURA, Chihiro (ditto)
Prof. Umemur, Hiroyuki (Coordinator of SSSEP)
Asso Prof. YAGI, Toru (ditto)
Asso. Prof. KOBAYASHI, Ikuo (Coordinator of SSMCT)
Asso. Prof. SAITO, Reiko (ditto)
Dr. NAGATA, Yutaka (Central Research Institute of Electric Power Industry,
Dr. UMEMOTO, Satoshi (CRIEPI)
Dr. NISHI, Yoshihisa (CRIEPI)
Dr. NAKASHIKI, Norikazu (CRIEPI)
Dr. MIKI, Yuji (JFE Steel Corporation)
Dr. URABE, Toshiaki (JFE Steel Corporation)
Lecture Room: H136 (3rd floor, Main Building, O-okayama Campus)
Course Schedule, outline and materials
||topics, outline, handout*
Dec 4 (Wed)
|15:05 - 16:00
Handout (PDF) , Survery answer sheet
|Dec 11 (Wed)
||15:05 - 18:20
Lecture 1: Current Power Scene and Energy-Saving Technology on Demand-Side
=> Outline (PDF) & Handout (PDF)
Lecture 2 : Energy and Environment - from environment around electric facilities to the global climate =>
Outline (PDF) & Handout (PDF)
|Dec 18 (Wed)
||15:05 - 18:20
Lecture 3: Thermal power technologies for sustainable society
=>Outline (PDF) & Handout (PDF)
Lecture 4:Towards a Sustainable Society - Role and Challenges of Nuclear Power -
=> Outline (PDF) & Handout (PDF)
|Jan 29 (Wed)
||15:05 - 18:30
Lecture 5: Trend in Advanced High Strength Steels and Application Technologies for Automobile =>Outline (PDF)t (PDF)
Lecture 6: The current state of the steel industry and issues in an environmental aspect =>Outline (PDF) (PDF)
| 17 of Feb (Mon)
|| Orientation of Satellite Seminar
|25 of Feb (Tue)
||Site visit JFE Steel Chiba Works
|26 of Feb (Wed)
*** Each assignment should be submitted immediately after the class to a
TA. For those who cannot do it after the class, subumit it to Dr. Takemura
by e-mail within a week after the class. ***:
(1) (Lecture by Dr. Nagata on Dec 11)
1) What is the unique point of electricity supply/demand system in your country compared with other countries? (Any point is OK. For example, power generation, transmission, fuel procurement, demand structure, electricity price, etc.)
2) Needs for electricity will rise all over the world universally. What kind of energy-saving and/or energy-efficient technologies on demand-side is desirable to meet it in your country? Answer it with the reasons.
(2) (Lecture by Dr. Nakashiki on Dec.11)
In your country, what kind of environmental problem may occur in association with electric power industry? Please describe strategy in your country and your opinion to prevent the problem.
(3) (Lecture by Dr. Umemoto on Dec. 18)
(1) (1-1) What is most used primary energy in “your” country?
(1-2) Is the major of the primary energy imported? (Yes/No)
(2) The annual generated power in a country was 900,000 GWh. Please consider reserve margin as 10%. The power demand is independent on time and season.
(2-1) A plant uses 6 combined cycle units. The total output is 3,000 MW. The total plant area is 300,000 m2. The availability is 70%. How large area do you need, if you cover all of the power consumption in the country with the combined cycle power plant? (Please write equations)
(2-2) A “mega” solar power plant’s total output is 20 MW. The total plant area is 300,000 m2.
The averaged hours of daylight in the country is 2,000 h/year (during that hours, the solar power output is 100%). How large area do you need, if you cover all of the power consumption with the solar power? (Please write equations)
(3) Why is the thermal efficiency of combined cycle higher than that of boiler system?
(4) What is important when we use coal? (except for efficiency and CO2) (Please write what coal is, what will occur by that and what we should do for that.)
(5) What is most effective to reduce CO2 emission, “in your opinion”? (Please write the reason.)
(4) (Lecture by Dr. Ui on Dec 18)
1) Assuming that all the nuclear power plants in Japan will be replaced with wind power generation or solar power generation, answer the following questions:
(1) Calculate the necessary number of wind or solar power units, construction cost, and the site area in consideration of operation rate.
(2) Calculate how the electricity bill per household changes for one year.
(3) Identify issues and consider feasibility. If the replacement will be possible, please describe how to achieve.
The following conditions may be used for the calculation.
- Power generation capacity of wind power plant: 0.8 MW/unit -Construction fee of wind power plant: 30,000,000 JPY/unit
- Operating rate of wind power generation: 15% (55 days in a year)
- Required space per wind power plant: 250 m x 250 m = 0.0625 km2/unit
- Power generation capacity of solar power plant: 1 MW/unit
- Construction fee of solar power plant: 40,000,000 JPY/unit
- Operation rate of solar power generation: 18h00-6h00: 5%, 6h00-10h00: 70%, 10h00-14h00: 140%, 14h00-18h00: 60 %
- Required space of solar power generation: 10 m2/kW
- Capacity of nuclear power generation in Japan: 1,000 MW/unit x 50 units
- Electricity price by wind power or solar power: Purchase price by FIT (Feed-in-Tariff) is 40 JPY/kW
- Needed space for NAS battery: 100 kWh/m2 - Power price from nuclear power generation: 9 JPY/kW
- The daily power consumption of a family of four persons: 20kWh
2) Consider the best mix of power energy in Japan or in your country and suggest a specific power configuration.
3) List three aspects of using nuclear power to achieve sustainable society with reasons.
(5) (Lecture by Dr. Urabe Jan 29)
- Why is the life cycle assessment important to reduce the CO2 emission from automobile?
- Why is the transformation strengthening mainly used in advanced high strength steels for automobile and infrastructure
(6)(Lecture by Dr. Miki Jan 29)
To reduce CO2 emission in steel production in the world,
- What has Japanese steel companies done until now?
- What will Japanese steel companies try to do in the future?
Working Groups of 2019
given at the page of Satellite seminar
Central Reserach Institute of Electirc Power Industry
Sites relating to SET Theme